Author Topic: Rtas 'Vadum...blind?  (Read 6244 times)

Offline Slaskia

• Sangheili fanatic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Rtas 'Vadum...blind?
« on: March 21, 2010, 09:15:10 PM »
In one eye anyway....

While checking things on Halopedia I looked a screen shot from one of the Halo 3 cutscenes and noticed something I didn't catch before.  The cutscene where the Shadow of Intent arrives at the arc is the only scene in Halo 3 where we can get a clear glimpse of Rtas' left eye and I noticed it seemed...dead.

Screeny from the exact moment

At first I thought the screenshot was taken at the exact moment when he was blinking, but after rewatching the cutscene in question I realized he wasn't blinking.  That eye is completely brown and seemingly lifeless.  Other evidence to support that he is blind in his life eye comes from the Halo Graphic Novel: after the infected Kusovai cuts off his left mandibles you never see his left eye again, even when he is facing the reader, for the rest of the story.  Also in support, is the MacFarlene Rtas 'Vadum figure:  the figures right eye is orange, while the other eye is yellow.

But Kia, I can already hear you say, Rtas obviously had both eyes in Halo 2!

Yes, indeed and people still think Rtas has green eyes because of it…Not recognizing that Rtas was obviously wearing eye coverings.  And it is likely those eye coverings that disguised the damage to the left eye.  It is also possible that the left eye became infected and died at some point after Halo 2:  and we know how likely a proud Sangheili would be to go make an appointment with the doctor…

…As in…Fat chance.

Which would explain why he took up a shipmaster role in Halo 3:  you don’t need both eyes to command a ship.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 08:19:22 PM by Slaskia »

Offline Spog

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Rtas 'Vadum...blind?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 04:01:29 PM »
Well, unless his eye is the same way in other instances of the game, I'd say it's just a graphical glitch of some kind; something similar to how things wouldn't render immediately in GTA San Andreas (lots I've times I've blown my ass up because I crashed into a invisible tree with a plane XD)
"With the stigma feasting upon your flesh I wish you well! Thorns from the fountains of fate licking lepered skin! Worshiped by anyone's mass on our planet hell! What on earth possessed you!?" ~Dimmu Borgir "Kings of the Carnival Creation"

Offline Slaskia

• Sangheili fanatic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 04:30:04 PM »
That's the problem though, Sprog.   Rtas is only actually 'seen' in two-three cutscenes in Halo 3 and only one of those you can get a good look at his left eye.

Also, in the cutscene where you can see the left eye, his right eye could been seen clearly earier on in the scene and it looked fine.

Offline Spog

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 04:43:27 PM »
That's what I meant by graphical glitch; one thing is whole while the others isn't.  I honestly wouldn't know unless there was some kind of official thing that said he lost his eyes somewhere along the way.

However, I'm still leaning towards graphical glitch; as on N'tho Sraom's Halopedia page it says one eye is blind, always appearing 'closed'.
---
"It is interesting to note that N'tho never opens his right eye. This may be just a glitch, an oversight by Bungie, his eye may have been damaged in a fight, or he's just blind in that eye. Sometimes when he is killed he will reappear with both eyes open but they won't blink like the Arbiter and the other AI Elites."
---
It could be something like that, though I'm pretty sure killing Rtas and making him respawn again wouldn't settle any debate ;P
"With the stigma feasting upon your flesh I wish you well! Thorns from the fountains of fate licking lepered skin! Worshiped by anyone's mass on our planet hell! What on earth possessed you!?" ~Dimmu Borgir "Kings of the Carnival Creation"

Offline Slaskia

• Sangheili fanatic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 05:14:09 PM »
And we have no opportunity to try to 'kill' Rtas anyway in Halo 3.

However, considering my other sources...One definately canon (action figure appearances are likely low on the canon totem pole if on it at all), I believe there is something 'officially' wrong with Rtas' left eye.  Whether it is heterochromia (as on the figure), or partial or full blown blindness in that eye.

Offline Spog

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 05:18:22 PM »
I think Bungie is vague on purpose just to give us all a hard time; friendly teasing; allot of stuff is just a matter of personal belief I guess.

Offline Slaskia

• Sangheili fanatic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 05:33:58 PM »
Agreed...Darn Bungie.

BTW...You can see his left eye in the Memorial cutscene at the end of Halo 3...but the hologram of the Earth makes it hard to see clearly.  *sulk*

Even if he really is blind in that eye...It would be too much work to make note of it in my already posted fiction anyway.... :-\

Offline Spog

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 05:40:23 PM »
There's no need to worry about the little things, unless you've got a neat idea to go with it.  I can think of several ways Gordon could torture him in IAW.

Offline Slaskia

• Sangheili fanatic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 05:42:38 PM »
I hardly consider being blind in one eye a 'little thing'.  If it was just heterochromia, then yeah, I wouldn't bother...but blindness?  That kind of affects the character as a whole....

Offline Spog

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 05:44:13 PM »
I don't mean minor thing in a plot/story; I meant canon wise.  Missing a limb would be considered and major thing to me, something you can't just brush aside and discard from a fic (well you could, but it'd probably cut down allot of characterization from such a trait).

Offline Scarface

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 12:19:02 AM »
@Slaskia, where did you have the information, that Elites wear eye coverings?

I haven't seen the eye yet (lots of things to do and no time for nothing...). I can ask a friend of mine, if he could just mod a bit to (may Bingie never catch him ^^) get a better look on the eye or may even tell if it's just a bug like the closed eye of N'tho or the missing eyecolor of most Elites in Halo2.

I don't know, Rtas being blind on one eye, that's very spongily for me. "The Last Voyage of the Infinite Succor" shows that his eye may be injured indeed, but there's always the problem, that in comics, there's often a high amount of artistic freedom and the artists do not urgently have to know about the canon of their piece of art itself, cause storyboards mostly come from other persons and drawing and coloring is kind of "just a job" for them. It may looks like the eye was severely injured, but let's be honest, in the comic it just looks like half of his face was cut off, so I wouldn't care of this so much, but it's still the best Halo comic together with Blood Line till now on my oppinion.
That the eye looks healthy in Halo2 may be due to the fact, that there isn't such a big amount of details as Halo3 has or the idea of an injured eye just came later to Bungie. An eye can be severely damaged but it can also heal very good, so just because the eye looks blurry and has a strange colour, it doesen't necessarily means it's blind. Could be slight infection due to the contact with flood spores, or just a bug but there passed many time from the battle for Halo 04 to the "end" of the Covenant.

Offline Slaskia

• Sangheili fanatic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 10:48:27 AM »
http://slaskia.deviantart.com/art/Eye-coverings-160822271  Full view is being a pain right now.

You can also go here: http://nikon.bungie.org/misc/cutscenes/halo2.html  Watch the cutscene 'A Whister in the Storm', HD version if you can.  Stop it at 4:37:  Rtas is turned mostly toward the 'camera' and you can see how the eyes 'bulge out' way too far for that to be normal.  Thus, eye coverings.

Thel himself is proof they wear eye coverings:  in the cutscene 'Homefield advantage', Thel has back eyes when he has his armor, but once his armor is removed, his eye color changes to brown.

As for the rest of your post:  yes it could be an infection he is suffering in that particular scene: an infection that passed by the time the Arbiter was at the memorial.  Hard to confirm though, considering we don't get a clear look at that eye in that scene....