Author Topic: Oh god.. The Insane IRC Channel!  (Read 4354 times)

Offline Mifune Fuji

• Neko or Kitsune?
  • Photonic Moderator
  • Kisae, Priestess
  • Foxgirl Loving Maniac!
    • View Profile
    • ShadowHime
Oh god.. The Insane IRC Channel!
« on: November 19, 2010, 09:47:37 AM »
!!!! The insanity does not stop.... It.. just won't.. It CAN'T stop...

Ok, that aside, WingZero initially brought the subject up in an MSN chat with me, then I talked to Ryu for a bit about it and this is what we decided.

We've opened up an IRC channel if you wish to talk with us in real-time. Yes, that's right, real-time. You can chat about pretty much whatever you want, but forum rules, for the most part, still apply, so do be careful. =P

Before I set you all off on how to get there, few things to know.

1. Administrators and the like also have power in the channel. Ryu is essentially co-owner while myself am owner of the channel.
2. Moderators get some power as well and there is only one currently. Though he doesn't moderate the forum, he'll at least help whenever I may not be around or Ryu himself.
3. Don't spam in the channel. Spam will get you an auto-kick and my usual policy is 3 strikes, you're out. Spam may include, but not limited to, posting random links to sites that serve no purpose, repeating lines several times, or are trying to pester someone for whatever reason.

Now for a bit of information about the staff:

~ - Channel Owner, can do everything in the channel.
& = Channel Admin, essentially has power over everything.
@ = Channel Operator, has power with kicking and banning people.
% = Half-Channel Operator, same as above, but can not kick/ban those with higher power. This is not used except for bots.
+ = Voice, no you can't "talk" talk in IRC. It allows you to actually say things if the channel were to ever be moderated. Otherwise it serves no purpose. However, I may denote people to voice who are long-time members, or stick around for a while.

And for people who actually have power:

&Ryu/Kalshion - Of course, he owns the joint. =P
&TwinShadow/Naomi - Same person, I own the channel.
&[^_^] - This is a service bot that automates some of the rule enforcing.
@WingZero0079 - Ryu's and my friend, because having one extra wouldn't hurt.

I may update this as time goes on, but we will see. Now y'all are wondering how the heck to connect to IRC. Well this is simple. To save me re-typing so many times for the same purpose, I have made tutorials on my own site when I used to run an IRC server myself, so I'll point you all to there for the first thing. My server is no longer up, so don't try connecting, but I have plans of maybe reviving it for a different purpose. Without further ado, here are a list of tutorials to read:

How to connect to IRC: Click here.
General IRC Commands: Click here.
Channel Modes: Click here. Why am I listing this? This is so you can understand what each channel mode does. Note: These channel modes may not apply on the server that the channel is hosted on.

Those are the basics and I hope they help you. Now you probably want the info now and want me to shut up. XD Ok ok, I get it, here:

Server: irc.shadowhime.net OR irc.shadowhime.net +6697 <- this connects using the SSL port for an encrypted connection, and is secure.
Channel: #Insanity_Refuge
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 09:07:25 PM by TwinShadow »

Offline Mifune Fuji

• Neko or Kitsune?
  • Photonic Moderator
  • Sciora, Lancer
  • Foxgirl Loving Maniac!
    • View Profile
    • ShadowHime
Re: Oh god.. The Insane IRC Channel!
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 09:58:12 AM »
I need to post some more information about the different clients. I'll list 4 major clients and you can pick from any of them. Any others, there is a wiki link in the connecting to IRC tutorial above.

mIRC - This client is the most popular in use today. Though I don't personally like it, it gets the job done. mIRC is a shareware product, but you are not required to register it to use after the 30 days. All it will do is just bug you to register, but it won't stop you from using it. Follow the commands if you wish to connect using mIRC.

X-Chat - Now this is quirky. X-Chat on Windows is not free, and you will be locked out after the 30 days. However, it has its own controversy behind it. Its licensed under a GPL-type for the Linux variant and is open-source and free, but only the Windows version is not. So, because the source is available, there are alternative builds available for Windows you can use.
http://www.silverex.org/news/ - I used this for a while, it works and is good enough for most users.
http://code.google.com/p/xchat-wdk/ - I now use this as it integrates better with the Windows theme I have installed and is constantly updated.
I made a very quick and dirty tutorial on how to auto-connect to servers/channels with X-Chat. I've thought about making one for mIRC, but I haven't been bothered to do so. For the tutorial, click here and the instructions should be easy enough to follow.

ChatZilla - A Firefox addon that works for chatting when you need it. This is when you need a semi-dedicated client, though ChatZilla does lack some features that a dedicated client contains.

Mibbit - Click the "Launch Chat App Now" button in the middle of the page and you will need to manually enter a bit of info. Afterwords, you'll be at an area to enter the necessary information to connect. First click "Server" and enter irc.shadowhime.net. Then enter a Nick, and the channel is #Insanity_Refuge and click the Connect button. Or, scroll down a bit for the ShadowHime web-chat link.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 09:12:18 PM by TwinShadow »

Offline Kalashina Manahsyane

• Insane Story Writer
  • Administrator
  • Kawaii
  • Ryu of the Wilds
    • View Profile
    • Dyhokan Emporium
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 04:35:02 PM »
Also to note; if you use ChatZilla you can be on multiple servers, which is nice :)

Just remember to register. Just because you are registered on.. say... irc.sorcery.net doesn't mean you are also registered on Rizon, you need to register on Rizon as well. Registration is not cross-over.

Also, Shippo has it right with the three strikes, but with me it might not BE a three strike rule. It really depends on what was stated.

Racism WILL get you banned, however I will not ban someone if what they have said isn't racist (For example, say someone says they dislike our president, and then someone yells that they are being racist. Sorry, that isn't racism, because the man isn't insulting the race, only the man)

As stated, same rules apply.

Offline Mifune Fuji

• Neko or Kitsune?
  • Photonic Moderator
  • Kisae, Priestess
  • Foxgirl Loving Maniac!
    • View Profile
    • ShadowHime
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 04:27:12 PM »
Just remember to register. Just because you are registered on.. say... irc.sorcery.net doesn't mean you are also registered on Rizon, you need to register on Rizon as well. Registration is not cross-over.

Actually, registering to NickServ on Rizon is not a requirement to join the channel. (though we can make it that way I suppose...)

Registering does have its benefits, as it allows you to keep your nick in case someone else may be using it. If that's the case, you can essentially "ghost" the nick and you can get it back. It also does other things, but it is up to the user to register or not.

For information about NickServ: http://www.shadowhime.net/tutorials/nickserv/

Offline WingZero0079

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 09:09:17 PM »
As for me, I won't stand for pointless spam, if it has no purpose then it doesn't need to be there, if there are bigger problems, I will take it up w/ higher power before actions are made. Other then that, please enjoy the channel!!

.~*Winged-Angel*~.

.~*Winged-Angel*~.

Offline Mifune Fuji

• Neko or Kitsune?
  • Photonic Moderator
  • Netanya, Warrior
  • Foxgirl Loving Maniac!
    • View Profile
    • ShadowHime
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 06:02:04 PM »
Small, tiny little update.

http://www.shadowhime.net/web-chat/

This originally pointed to the defunct IRC that my server was on, and I've now changed its link settings in order to point to the channel. If you can't be bothered to follow a tutorial up in a previous post, use that link, type in a nickname, then click the big Connect button and you'll be in the channel. I've already tested it and it worked.

Offline Mifune Fuji

• Neko or Kitsune?
  • Photonic Moderator
  • Kisae, Priestess
  • Foxgirl Loving Maniac!
    • View Profile
    • ShadowHime
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 12:05:43 PM »
Oh fun, another update. With some help from Sonic, got a couple things cleared up and I got RSS feeds streaming to the IRC channel. At the moment, I only have the following: News (topic only), and the three story boards that'll report every new post.

The script itself checks about every 5 minutes, but I may increase this to around 10-30 minutes probably. We'll see how it goes. Again, follow any links up there if you want to get to the channel itself.