Author Topic: Ooops, the side effects of DDoS  (Read 5071 times)

Offline Sonic

• The Insane Mage
  • Administrator
  • Listen to Me!
  • What Sanity?
    • View Profile
Ooops, the side effects of DDoS
« on: September 27, 2010, 08:31:35 AM »
The distributed denial-of-service (DoS) attack, code-named "Operation: Payback Is A Bitch," was organized by 4chan users after the film industry hired a firm called Aiplex to attack sites hosting torrents of pirated movies.

http://www.darkreading.com/blog/archives/2010/09/4chan_organizes.html

This is why regardless if you are on the good or bad side, you should not carelessly initiate attacks. Because simply put, Payback is a bitch. ;)
I live in my own little world. But that's ok, they know me there.

Offline Mifune Fuji

• Neko or Kitsune?
  • Photonic Moderator
  • Netanya, Warrior
  • Foxgirl Loving Maniac!
    • View Profile
    • ShadowHime
Re: Ooops, the side effects of DDoS
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 12:10:21 PM »
I've known about this for about a week or so. Though I'm not in support of 4chan and what they do (its why I don't go there in the first place), I'm also not in support of the MPAA and RIAA either. Simply put, they also use the same methods to bring down torrent sites so neither one are doing any real good as it is.

Oh yeah, there's a bill in the works so I hear that would allow our government to selectively block access to specific sites, such as WikiLeaks (like that'll do anything), Pirate Bay, any torrent-related site (even though torrents can have a legal use as well), etc. Well problem is, some people are smart enough to use proxies to get around that block if it ever is implemented. Does this smell or is it me? Hm.. oh yeah, doesn't China do the same thing? Yeah... I'm pretty sure actually.. Hm, looks like we're becoming China.

(I'd have to find the article again where I got it, but you can look on torrentfreak.com for it. The article should still be on the first page at the time of this post.)