Author Topic: Foreshadow of the Lost  (Read 22357 times)

Offline Kalashina Manahsyane

• Insane Story Writer
  • Administrator
  • Banzai!
  • Ryu of the Wilds
    • View Profile
    • Dyhokan Emporium
Re: Foreshadow of the Lost
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2009, 11:14:41 AM »
The captain didn't say a word; rather he was checking the status on other systems. Another officer, however, did. "We are fine, and very lucky. No casulaties reported, well, excepte for a few containers on the Phantom deck. Ambassador, I think your going to have a few minors wanting to go planetside to get some... replacement.. stuff," said the officer before he got back to work.

"We'll be here for at least two hours, so use this time to get whatever you need before we try to jump again," said the captain before coughing up a storm. "Ughs...."

--

Flight Officer Kasel grumbled as she took her Pelican out of the bay; she had a cargohold full of techs in EVA suits and her destination was the turret that was now floating off into space. "How is it after all these hundreds of years, we still get gremlins in the machines," she muttered to herself as she angled the Pelican above the turret.

Two Phantoms joined her and locked their gravity beams onto the turret; they then began the slow process of pulling it back to the ship and reattaching it. One thing Kasel was glad about was that none of the turrets had active gunnery crews in them yet - so they had no deaths to worry about and no bodies to pick up.

Offline Slaskia

• Sangheili fanatic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2009, 12:48:56 PM »
Zeno nodded.  “New ship.  New design.  Not unusual to have some bugs.  I will request the minors going back planetside to get an economy sized can of RAID for you.”  He snickered slightly before ducking back out of the bridge.  If the captain said anything, he didn’t hear it.

I need to greet the new arrivals anyway, Zeno thought as he made his way to the phantom bay.  Be good to see Johnson again, though I know he will not feel the same.

---

Meanwhile, on the Phantom…

“I do not know why you are so against our relationship, Ambassador,”  Sani said.  “After all, you are responsible for getting us together in the first place.”

“And how the hell did I manage that?”  Johnson asked, sneering.

Sani simply said. “Strip poker.”

Johnson blinked and then his face darkened, remembering now the poker game he asked Zeno to crash on Sani’s behalf.  “Oh crap, that’s right.  Gods what I have done?”

“Look on the bright side, Johnson,” the Arbiter said with a smirk.  “Zeno no longer hates Valentines Day.”

“That is of little comfort!”

• Insane Story Writer
  • Administrator
  • Kawaii!
  • Ryu of the Wilds
    • View Profile
    • Dyhokan Emporium
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2009, 01:32:36 PM »
Several Longsword fighters and a few Seraphs exited their bays as she began a CAP, or Combat Air Patrol. The fighters ducked beneath the massive ship as she headed toward the front and then out into space to rendezvous with the various shuttles now headed toward it.

A couple cruisers made their way toward the ship as well, intent on overloading some of the remaining crew but also to provide assistance - since it was rather obvious by how dark the ship looked that there had been problems.

The pilot observed a Pelican as it and two Phantoms moved a turret back into place; meanwhile, frigate left the main hanger bay equiped for repair work, it moved out and up alongside the ship and over to the now-empty turret emplacement - getting set up for the reattachment and repairs.

Offline Slaskia

• Sangheili fanatic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2009, 02:08:14 PM »
Zeno entered the phantom bay and approached a group of Sangheili that were picking through the now flattened luggage container.  “The captain has granted you permission to go surface side to get any replacement items you need.  You have two hours,” he told them. The group looked up at him and bowed their heads thankfully before all beelining for the nearest phantom.  “And go no more then five miles over the speed limit!”  He shouted after them, chuckling.

Shortly after that phantom left, another came in.  Ah, this must be Johnson’s transport  Zeno thought with a smirk.  He waited patiently for the phantom to land and the gravity lift to activate.  First down was the Arbiter.  “Arbiter,”  Zeno said, saluting.

“Zeno,” the Arbiter said, nodding as he stepped aside.  Johnson came down next, who predictably did not looked pleased to be here.

“Johnson old buddy!  How are you doing?”  Zeno said, patting him on the shoulder.

“Just…Peachy…Now just show me to my quarters and leave me alone….”  Johnson grumbled.

“Aww, you really need to…Work…”  Zeno started but stopped when he saw the third passenger drop down.  “Sani…What are you doing here?”

His partner smiled sweetly and wrapped his arms around him.  “I thought I would to take the opportunity to see you off…Again,” he said.

“Sani…It was hard enough last time,”  Zeno said quietly.

“I know…That is why I am here.”

“For what?  You need some ‘action’ again?  You wore me out last night as is and that is saying something.”

Sani blushed.  “That does sound tempting, but that is not what I want.”

“Then…What….”

“A kiss silly.”  With one hand, he removed Zeno’s helmet from his head.

“Oh…Well I can do that…I suppose….”  They both leaned forward and touched the tips of their mandibles together in the approximation of a human style kiss.  Their eyes fluttered closed and they leaned into each other, savoring the moment.

“They go good together, don’t you think?”  the Arbiter asked Johnson.

Johnson, was holding his hands up in front of his face.  “It’s…It’s like a train wreck!”  He said.  “It’s horrifying to look at but you just can’t look away!”

The Arbiter groaned and smacked Johnson on the back of the head.  The human staggered forward a bit and scowled at him.  “That hurt Arby!”

“Show some respect,”  he countered.  “Sani, we must be returning to the surface.”

Sani moaned with disappointment as they finally broke up the embrace.  “Be safe my love,” he said softly.  “Return to me.”

“I will, sweet.  You have my word.”  Zeno said softly back, giving him one last nuzzle before Sani finally turned and went back up the gravity lift.

“Safe journey Zeno,” the Arbiter said as he stepped back into the gravity lift himself.  “Take care.”

“You too, Arbiter.”  Zeno said as he watched them go.  He continued watching as the phantom backed out of the docking ring and back out into space.  He would have kept watching the phantom disappear if Johnson hadn’t poked him in the arm.

“Come on now, I ain’t going to find my quarters on my own,” the human said.

With a sigh, Zeno put his helmet back on his head and beckoned for Johnson to follow, whatever joy he had in his hearts right now gone.

This was going to be a long mission indeed….

• Insane Story Writer
  • Administrator
  • Princess Fate
  • Ryu of the Wilds
    • View Profile
    • Dyhokan Emporium
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2009, 02:30:09 PM »
Two hours went by fast; the Captain looked at the repair details. The turret had been reattached and this time it wasn't going anywhere, the various fried power cables had been repaired. The slipstream drive had been tinkered with a bit more and now wouldn't cause a surge when they came out of slipstream next time.

He also made certain that every Pelican and Phantom was properly docked and tied down. They also now had a full compliment of frigates in the main hanger bay and eight additional corvettes, all Sangheili but still it was more fire power than he had when he left the shipyard.

With everything now running smoothly, for the time being, he motioned to his communications officer. "All crew this is your Captain speaking. We'll begin combat trials in just a few minutes and will be jumping to a special course that the Sangheili have set up for us. We'll be testing out every weapon on board but will also be keeping an eye on all systems. If you notice a problem, inform your superiors."

"During these drills, I want all marines and Sangheili warriors to practice repelling boarders. They'll take turns, operating in teams, no killing yourself you hear?" he grinned sightly but then continued. "After the combat trials we'll set course for the first few worlds on our list, your superiors will be briefed on all courses, because we have a limited crew count, the Huragok will handle most of the maintenance and repairs, give them breathing room and don't annoy them. If you have a question, talk to their Supervisor. 'Helium of-'" he stopped and looked down at the list. He hated their naming protocols. "'Gas of Light'" he shrugged his shoulders, really strange names. "All crew man your stations and prepare for slipstream jump," he said and killed the comm.

The ships engines ignited and they started moving away from Sangheilios, soon a slipstream portal opened up and the ship plunged into slipstream.

Some AU's from where they had entered; a ship appeared briefly from uncommon space. It floated in space for a few seconds, before coming about and disappearing.

Offline Slaskia

• Sangheili fanatic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2009, 10:39:50 AM »
In one of the hanger bays, a field master was briefing a platoon of mostly Sangheili, but a few marines were mixed in.  “You will all drop out of the designated phantoms when the drill commences and head for the previously discussed target zone.”  He said.

“Boor-ing!” a voice said suddenly.

“Who dares!?” the field master growled, looking around for the source of the disturbance.

“You call this a boarding action?  What are you?  A green blood?”  A black and purple armored Sangheili materialized on top of a supply crate behind the platoon.  “Not to mention this scenario is highly unrealistic.”

“Am…Ambassador!”

Zeno smiled and hopped of the crate, moving around toward the front.  “The hanger bays will be the most obvious place the defenders will go to repel boarders,” he said.  “And thus, this is will most of the boarders will get hung up at and likely die.  Now, a hanger bay attack is good for a distraction, or if the ship was completely taken by surprised, but with the latter, that is not going to happen here.”  He saw nods of agreement and he continued.
“The purpose of a boarding action is to cripple the ship from within, assassinate key targets like the captain or any VIPs, or even a rescue operation.  What your ultimate goal is for boarding a ship should determine where and how you enter.  Now, since we have no prisoners, we will just simulate the first two possibilities.  For both goals, a hanger insertion will not do.”  He took out a device and brought up a map of the ship.
“There are emergency access hatches dotted all over the ship.”  He highlighted those.  “Since we do not have time to have you fitted with vacuum suits, you will reach the approximate area of a hatch via the maintenance tunnels.  Do not let yourselves been seen if possible: we do not want the opposing team figuring out that we are doing this a bit more realistically.”  Zeno gave them a wink.  “Now, squad one.  You will head for this hatch here.” He pointed to the hatch on the map.  “And your target will be the engine room.  Squad two will go to this hatch.”  Again he pointed. “And head for the reactor room.  Squad three.”  He grinned mischievously.  “You will go after the human ambassador, he is in this suite here and use this hatch here.”  Zeno pointed out both locations.  “Squad four, you are with me:  we are taking the bridge.”

“And me, sir?”  the field master said, feeling a bit left out. “What will be my role?”

“Go with squad two,” Zeno replied.  “Now, if you get to your target areas, do not actually damage anything.  This is a simulation, not a real boarding action.  We ready?”

“Sir, yes sir!”  The platoon cried.

“Alright, let’s go!”  The platoon separated into their respective squads and started to head for their designated ‘entry’ zones.  “Oh…Cortana,” Zeno whispered into his comm.  “I know you heard everything, no tattling OK?”

~I wouldn’t dream of it, Ambassador.~  The AI replied, a hint of a chuckle in her voice.

• Insane Story Writer
  • Administrator
  • Kawaii
  • Ryu of the Wilds
    • View Profile
    • Dyhokan Emporium
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2009, 11:08:59 AM »
Rasola tapped his foot on the metal deck. They'd be sitting in space for the better part of the past five minutes; he was waiting for weapons to come offline.

"It's done sir," said an officer.

He nodded and stood up. "We have ten targets, including one that Sangheili was kind enough to 'aquire' for live fire exercises, of course, the ship in question can't slipstream out - likewise - it can't board us," he said and had Cortana peg his ship on their tactical display. "Seem's the Brutes don't want to play right now though, I think they are hoping one of their own ships sees them and comes to their rescue," he shrugged.

"We'll test out the energy projectors first," he said. He looked over at the squad of marines that were by the door, Alpha Squad, they were recruits and fresh out of training - their sergeant, however, was a veteran from the wars and someone who preferred to stay with his rank. The squad was armed with paint-ball like weapons, they wouldn't cause any injuries or damage to systems. Several areas of the ship were regged with special sensors; if someone who was not allowed to enter that area passed by those sensors it'd alert Cortana.

Of course, in this case, the sensors were being used as 'check points' for the drills. Everytime a team passed by them, that point belonged to them. Kind of signifying that they had 'taken' that area. It was the type of game that Rasola liked; boarding actions were his specialty though he never had a chance to really display it during the war, as each covenant ship he and his tried to board self-destructed before they had the chance to land. "Cowards," he had often called them, but then again, he knew the reasons why - deny the enemy the chance to take your ship.

With that thought in mind he grinned. "Cortana, what are the opposing teams up to?" he asked.

~I'm sorry captain, but I can't tell you, after all, I'm sworn to secrecy...~ he said from the bridges internal speakers.

The captain grumbled, he wasn't all that surprised. "I see, so that Ambassador got to you huh?" he asked but didn't hear anything from her. Of course, what he did know was this, only two areas of the ship had permission to be used in the drills, the engine room and bridge, other areas, such as the hanger bays were naturally chosen. He just hoped that no aspiring marine or Elite would try and go into areas they weren't supposed to, but in case that did happen, he had those sensors rigged as 'check points'. "After all; the opposing team needs 'something' to chase after sometimes," he smiled.

"Energy projectors charged and ready," said his weapons officer.

He made the go ahead.

Pin-pricks of energy collected on the tip of one of the ships top turrets; the ball of energy grew until it leapt forward through space. It took only a couple seconds for it to reach the first practice target. Unlike when Cortana was operating it back in Reach Space those many years ago, this time it was being operated by a human.

She used the beam like a doctor would use a scalpel. She neatly sliced into the hull and cut out various sections of the ship, first it's engines, then hanger bay, followed by the bridge and then finally finishing it up by slicing off the top section. As the halves floated away from one another Cortana couldn't help but comment. ~Show off...~

"Not bad, now lets test the other weapons," said Rasola.

Offline Slaskia

• Sangheili fanatic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2009, 12:07:37 PM »
The drill was on the way, but Zeno held the squads of the platoon he took over back for a few moments, giving the other platoons that were attacking through the hanger bays a chance draw most of the defense forces.  “Go!” he shouted into the commline when he felt he moment was right.

Their sudden exit from the maintenance tunnels started a small group of marines that were heading for the hanger bay.  Their surprise cost them and within seconds, both due to the paint sticks Zeno was welding and the paint guns the rest of the squads used, they were ‘out’.  “Head for the bridge, I will cover your backs,” he said as he activated his camo.

“Wait…Is that allowed during this?”  one of the marines asked.

“Captain has to be open to all possibilities.”  The smile could be heard in Zeno’s voice.

---

Meanwhile Johnson was relaxing in his suite, listening to his flip music.  He could hear the sounds of the drill going on, and a part of him wished he had joined them, but he wasn’t particularly in the mood for it.  Maybe next time, he thought, sipping a drink.  I just want to relax right now.  Best part of it was, he wasn’t on the ‘target list’ for the drill, so he knew he would be left alone.

Or so he thought.

His door suddenly burst open and Johnson was greeted by the barrel of a paintball gun. “No…No….”  Johnson muttered as the marine holding it fired, spattering red paint all over his favorite shirt.

“VIP target down!”  the marine shouted in triumph.

As Johnson stood there in shock, he thought he heard a very familiar voice from the marine’s helm.  ~Good work, you and the rest of your squad go help out the hanger boarding teams.~

“Roger that, Ambassador,”  the marine said and rushed back out the door as quickly as he came.

Zeno… Johnson thought as he stared, mouth agape out the door.  I am going to have your head for this!

• Insane Story Writer
  • Administrator
  • Get Set!
  • Ryu of the Wilds
    • View Profile
    • Dyhokan Emporium
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2009, 03:15:03 PM »
The captain heard the sudden commotion outside the bridge and in the corridor. The marines had taken cover and were now firing back, he wondered how long it would take before they'd fall, or if they would actually push them back.

Ignoring the commotion. He watched as the ships archer missiles and several volley's of plasma torpedos struck four of the target ships. The two hit by plasma burned and melted, their superstructures visible. The other two erupted in fire as the archer missiles found their marks on strategically placed fuel pods.

One ship blossomed; it's frame being pushed back by the sudden propellant of fire. The last one just floated in space, tiny red dots flickering in various areas of the ship until finally one of them found the primary fuel pod, causing the ship to erupt in a ball of fire and burning metal.

Rasola just nodded; he was satisfied. Now came another test, they had a battery of new ballistic weapon systems on board, similiar to the MAC Guns, but were turreted and fired much shorter ranged versions. He had wished these were around during the war, as the shells had good punching power.

With the advancement of magnetic acceleration technology, turreted MAC guns were made possible. Of course, they still used the MAC Guns themselves to deliver massive firepower onto their enemies.

He gave a series of orders, gunnery crews manned the turrets and turned them toward a disabled Covenant Cruiser. Behind them, the Shadow of Intent watched over the trials, the ship was silent and not communicating, but obvious that it was watching.

With a wave of his hand; the batteries fired. Seconds passed before the shells found their marks, opening up a medium sized hole in the cruiser - its shields flared for several seconds before dieing. The shell had gone right through the shields, as if they weren't even there.

~There was a small error in the targetting computer~ said Cortana to no one in particular. ~Fixed~

The guns fired again; this time finding their mark on the cruisers primary reactor. The ship detonated in a beautiful display of pyrotechnics and fire. Again, Rasola was happy, but the final target - the Brute ship that had, at one point moved toward them, but was now running away at full speed.

Offline Slaskia

• Sangheili fanatic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2009, 03:42:33 PM »
“We are pinned down!”

“Yes I can see that,” Zeno muttered, mostly to himself.  They reached the corridor that led to the bridge, but the squad assigned to defend it was well under cover.  “But so are they.”

Too long a delay here would enable the bridge to summon for reinforcements, Zeno knew, so he had to break the stalemate somehow.  Looking around, he spied an entrance to the maintenance tunnels.  “Keep them busy,” he said as he ducked inside the maintenance.  “But watch your backs for reinforcements!”

~That is against…~  Cortana started to say.

“All possibilities Cortana,” Zeno said with a grin, as he did a short jog down the tunnel.  “Not my fault the designers did not include a maintenance tunnel lock down procedure.”

~I’ll be sure to include that in my list of recommendations for improvements.~

“And that is why I am doing this…To find ‘problems’ in the defense design.”  Zeno stopped when he figured he was next to the bridge itself and looked around.  Utilizing the flashlight attached to his armor, he spotted a crawl space that went over the bridge.  This is going to be a tight squeeze. he thought as he climbed up into it.  Dang it, I need to lose weight.  Darn you Sani and your excellent cooking!

He saw a grate up ahead.  Now he had two likely obstacles: was it large enough for him to fit through and could he remove it without drawing attention to himself….

• Insane Story Writer
  • Administrator
  • Fate, Fight!
  • Ryu of the Wilds
    • View Profile
    • Dyhokan Emporium
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2009, 03:59:44 PM »
The marines continued to fire; Cortana watched through various sensors. Some of Zeno's squad had been taken out, while others had gained ground. The fighting in the hanger bay was at a dead stalemate, but she knew that it was only a matter of time.

Antigone rocked slightly as the ship gave chase after the Brute vessel, her three main engines roaring with fire. As she got close, the brutes came about and started heading straight for the Antigone

"What are they doing..." Rasola pondered aloud as he watched them; it then became very clear. "Oh shit, hard about! NOW!" he shouted, despite being several times bigger, the cruiser could still ram them and that it did. The sound of the ships shielding taking a full brunt of the impact sent everyone crashing to the deck; even deep inside the ship they felt it.

The cruiser scrapped metal against metal, shields on both vessels flaring brightly orange in protest. As the ships were engaged, Cortana could make out something that she had not expected. "~Captain! We got company!~" she shouted as she focused on two Phantoms that had left the cruiser and were now headed straight for one of the Antigone's vacant bays.

"Instead of just a mock boarding action, we have real," he scowled. "Cortana! Alert the crew, drill time is over! We got hostiles!"

~Drill Suspended! All Crew we have intruders on the lower hanger bay, brutes have breached the lower hanger bay! All soldiers are to return to their assigned armories for weapons!~ the message repeated several times after words.

Of course, Rasola wanted to know how the hell the brutes got ahold of a few Phantoms, not to mention the fact that he as he watched the video feed he noticed they were armed with Plasma Rifles and Cardines, a Gravity Hammer and a few Needlers. Suffice it to say, the Captain wasn't happy.

Offline Slaskia

• Sangheili fanatic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2009, 04:16:21 PM »
Zeno blinked. Did I hear what I just heard? he thought. Dammit.  He started to back up, only for something to block his way. Oh for the love of…  With a sigh he moved forward again and looked down threw the grate.  “Look out below!”  He shouted, then started to pound on the grate.

After a few hits, the grate fell through.  Zeno quickly followed it to the bridge deck, rolling upon landing.  “Hi Captain!  Excuse me while I go grab my Brute slicers and dicers!”  He said as he ran back out the bridge.

So he wouldn’t get in the way of others, he opted to use the same maintenance tunnel network to get back to his quarters…

• Insane Story Writer
  • Administrator
  • Princess Fate
  • Ryu of the Wilds
    • View Profile
    • Dyhokan Emporium
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2009, 05:42:57 PM »
Cortana watched as the brutes banged on the blast door; she was wondering how long it would take them to break through four inches of titanium A Battleplate. She got her answer when she saw the one wielding the Gravity Hammer started waylaying on the door, after ten hits it buckled under the strain and flew off its hinges after the next hit.

~Captain! At the rate they are going, I estimate at least ten minutes before they make it to one of the main corridors~ Cortana with a calm voice. She continued her watch with interest, both studying the Brutes movements and their weapons - something seemed strange about the Gravity Hammer, it appeared to be sparkling somewhat. ~I wonder if its just the Camera~ she pondered to herself and wrote it off as a glitch in the system for her to look into later.

-

Marines ran to their assigned Armories, grabbing their normal body armor and battle rifles. As they quickly headed out to the lower decks, one of the sergeants stopped briefly to inform Cortana that his squad was underway.

Meanwhile, another group of marines had set up behind the last blast door, .50 caliber machine guns set up in preparation. The recruits of the group seemed genuinely nervous, especially since they could hear the brutes get closer and closer with each passing minute.

-

Kasel wasn't having fun right now; instead of shinning her Pelican, she was outside in it with a group of Marines and Sangheili Warriors in her hold. One of the field masters had thought of bringing in a group of soldiers behind the Brutes, to pin them.

As she moved up into the vacant bay, she scanned the interior and caught site of not just Brutes, but a few Grunts and Jackles that were oblivious to their presence. She flipped a switch and her .50 Calibar gun swung out of it's bay.

"Ello Boys! Time to dance" she shouted and pulled the trigger. Fire erupted from the chain gun as it sprayed hot metal into the small group of enemy combatants. Jackles flew to peices, Grunts were chopped up and a Brute found himself without his head - another found himself missing another part of his anatomy.

When all was said and done she was about to bring the Pelican in when she caught Plasma fire pass by her cockpit: she had completely forgotten about the Phantom. She backed her Pelican out of the bay as the enemy Phantom gave chase. "Sorry boys! Looks like we'll be late to the party!" she shouted to her guests as she dove straight toward a group of friendly Seraph fighters.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 12:47:56 PM by Ryu »

Offline Slaskia

• Sangheili fanatic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2009, 10:12:56 AM »
Meanwhile on the Shadow of Intent, Rtas was observing the exercise with interest.  The brute ship was proving to not want to go down without a fight and now the ship was too close to the Renewal of Antigone for it to risk firing its weapons.  No matter, he was certain Captain Rasola had things well in hand.

“Shipmaster, there seems to be a problem,” one of the officers said.

“What sort of problem?”  Rtas queried.

The officer brought up the screen to show a phantom firing upon one of the Antigone’s pelicans.  Said pelican was doing some rather crazy maneuvering in the attempt to keep from being blown to pieces.  “How by our ancestors did those filthy Brutes get a phantom?”  Rtas growled.

“Unknown, sir, but it seems possible they were able to board the ship, going by some of the combat noise I am picking up.”

Rtas slammed his fist into the arm of his chair.  If the Brutes still had phantoms, what else did they have?  He knew doing anything to help will taint the exercise, but if things get any worse the exercise will become moot anyway.  “Send out a squad of seraphs to take out that phantom and ensure no more come from the brute ship,” he ordered.  “Arm and aim our ship weapons at the engine bay of the ship: let us make sure those mongrels do not move again and give the Antigone the chance to move away and fire upon it safely.”

“As you command, shipmaster!”

---

Zeno skidded out of the maintenance tunnel and quickly punched in his key code to his quarters.  Once inside he started tearing through the contents of his duffel bag.  “Where are they…,” he muttered.  “Where…ah! Here they are.”  With a smile he replaced his paint sticks with his kisens and ran back out and down the hallway, down where the action is.  “Cortana, where are the brutes at?”  he asked.

~About to start breaking through the last blast door, Ambassador.~  Cortana replied.  ~The marines have set up a chaingun turret there, but…~

“One swing of that hammer will turn it into a bunch of useless junk,” Zeno finished for her. “Not to mention turn those guys into road kill.”  He ducked into a maintenance shaft.  “I am nearly there, going to flank the bastards.”

Moments later he skid out into the hanger bay, knocking over a couple of Unggoy that were in the way.  Unggoy that lost their heads immediately afterward.  Zeno ran toward the last standing blast door, taking out a few more Unggoy and Kig-Yar on the way.  When he got close to the main group, he put away one kisen and grabbed a grenade.  “Hey bastards!  Catch!”  He yelled as the grenade sailed through the air.

The enemy group screamed and panicked, covering their heads:  in close quarters like that, they had no where to go.  The grenade bounced once, twice before finally coming to a rest by the hammer brute.  Then it exploded, showering the entire group with hot pink paint.

“Um…,”  Zeno said, blushing.  “Oh dear…It seems I forgot to swap out my grenades for real ones.”

The hammer brute looked at himself, then at Zeno.  With a roar of fury he charged at him.  “Yikes!”  Zeno cried as he barely dodged a swing.  “I do not know why you are so upset furball!  Pink is your color!”

• Insane Story Writer
  • Administrator
  • Barrier Jacket, Set Up!
  • Ryu of the Wilds
    • View Profile
    • Dyhokan Emporium
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2009, 12:47:20 PM »
The marines waited with nervous glances; the sergeant of the group kept on telling his men to calm down but in reality he to was a bit nervous. The only one's here with combat exercise was himself and the four Sangheili Warriors that had joined them.

"Cortana, where are they?" the sergeant spoke into his throat-mic.

~Well, they are currently covered in pink paint and very very angry at the Ambassador~ said Cortana through the sergeants headset.

"Ambassador? Oh great, don't tell me he went into the maintenance tunnels and came out behind them?" he said, and when Cortana didn't respond he sighed.

He had one of his marines rig an explosive on the door; normally it'd be useless, but the door had already showed signs of buckling due to the hammer wielding brute. Once everyone was clear, the sergeant hit the detonator.

An explosion rippled through the corridor as hot-metal flew in both direction, some of the brutes who had their backs to the door soon found themselves in a hot metal bath. A Kig-Yar who was trying to get into a maintenance lost its lower half of the body when a large slab of the door sliced through him. While an Uggoy cowarded in fear. "Me no want to die... me just here to get pretties..." he said as he cowarded near where the door had been blown open.

When the smoke cleared; the marines saw several pink colored brutes. "Umm... pink is really not their color," said a marine.

Two of Sangheili warriors chuckled at this sight, apparently very amused.

When the sergeant looked past those brutes and saw the Chieftain he made a motion with his hand, the marine behind the .50 caliber spun up the barrel and aimed at the Chieftains back armor. "Ambassador! Duck!" shouted the Sergeant as the weapon emplacement opened fire.

---

"I hate this shit!" Shouted Kasel as plasma from the Phantom turret splashed across one of her wings. She looked over to her side and saw the metal vaporizing, but thanks to the coldness of space it didn't spread any further.

She looked off to her right and saw a group of Seraph fighters coming in behind the Phantom, but the brute pilot was doing a very good job of piloting. He was close enough to the Pelican that if they had fired and missed, they'd almost certainly hit her.

Kasel looked around her surroundings and had an idea. "I hope the shipmaster doesn't mind this," she said and yanked the control stick hard right. She headed straight toward the Shadow of Intent, flying just meters above the ships hull, though she 'knew' the Seraphs couldn't fire, nor did the Phantom for some reason - the pilot was apparently not used to flying this close a capital ship.

She brushed against the hull slightly and knew she had probably just abrated a small part of the Pelicans undercarriage armor. She ignored it and continued her flying. She made a hard downward turn which caused the brute pilot to miss the turn completely, exposing himself to the fire from the Seraphs, and one of the Shadow of Intents main turrets which was not pointed at him, but at the Brute Cruiser.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 12:51:25 PM by Ryu »